Raising the Bar: John M. Kelly Library Strategic Plan 2015-2020
Message from the Chief Librarian
Community sets Kelly apart as a special academic library.
This past year, we added new art to our walls, purchased new furniture for our reading room, created a presentation practice room for students, and extended our InfoExpress Services to graduate students; what additional enhancement will help our users the most?
The Kelly Library is the epicentre of student academic life at St. Michael’s College. It is a dynamic space where our students have an opportunity to mix with their peers from classes or residence. Together they study, chat, or practise their language skills at drop-‐in study sessions; they also meet with professors or visit with other members of our community. Kelly Library is also a place of refuge—a place for silent study and contemplation in a busy world.
Kelly Library staff and librarians are eager to assist students with research, competent in directing them to other members of the community when necessary, able to connect them with other students or faculty, and skilled in ways that support their work and initiatives. In short, we are a responsive, congenial, and experienced staff, very interested in meeting the needs of our community.
In our 2015-2020 strategic plan we aim to raise the bar. In addition to desktop delivery of materials to our graduate students and faculty, what else we can do to ease the pressures on their time? Our personal librarian service for first-year students has been successful, but what more can we do to support students as they develop as researchers? We are increasing the accessibility of our special collections by digitizing items for classroom use, but what more can we do to connect our users to our unique materials? We manage the second most circulating collection at the St George campus, but what next?
Over the next 5 years, I look forward to realizing our plan, allowing the Kelly Library to grow and evolve to meet the demands of the USMC community while preserving the specialness that is Kelly.
Bringing people together with exceptional services, spaces, and collections to support their intellectual pursuits
Snapshot of our Priorities & Goals
- We will support the research and learning of students, faculty, and alumni.
- We will enhance practices for the selection and acquisition of materials in order to strengthen the holdings and reputation of the Library and to respond to the needs of the USMC community.
- We will achieve best practices for the preservation of and access to the materials of the Library.
- We will renovate, rejuvenate, and enhance our spaces to meet the needs of our users.
- We will establish partnerships and secure resources to maintain and improve library spaces and initiatives.
- We will foster a positive work environment that helps library staff flourish.
We will support the research and learning of students, faculty and alumni.
- 1.1 Increase self-sufficiency, way-finding and self-directed learning.
- 1.2 Conduct an assessment of the needs of users in areas such as technology, spaces, access/digitization, services, and materials.
- 1.3 Increase communication/collaboration with University of Toronto Libraries about best practices.
- 1.4 Improve dialogue with USMC partners to enhance the vibrancy of the Learning Commons, Special Collections (rare book and archival materials), and existing services.
- 1.5 Increase cross-curricular projects to support research competencies of students.
- 1.6 Increase student involvement in library programs and services.
- 1.7 Improve methods to evaluate and respond to user feedback.
- 1.8 Investigate the information literacy needs of the USMC campus and develop strategies to meet these needs.
- 1.9 Teach information literacy concepts in collaboration with faculty, writing instructors, and/or other University of Toronto Libraries staff.
We will enhance practices for the selection and acquisition of materials in order to strengthen the holdings and reputation of the Library and to respond to the needs of the USMC community.
- 2.1 Improve collection development, continually reviewing and refining to stay in step with changing community programs.
- 2.2 Review donor agreements and revise as necessary to ensure they meet our collection scope.
- 2.3 Increase the acquisition of materials in targeted areas in a timely and cost-‐effective manner.
- 2.4 Increase input from the community about materials to purchase.
- 2.5 Increase communication/collaboration with University of Toronto Libraries on collection development.
- 2.6 Maintain relevancies in the collection by de-selection.
We will achieve best practices for the preservation of and access to the materials of the Library.
- 3.1 Assess the physical condition of the library’s collections using industry standard preservation methods.
- 3.2 Improve assessment of current and future needs in the stacks to ensure adequate shelving and space.
- 3.3 Improve online discoverability of our collections.
- 3.4 Increase the profile of our Special Collections (rare book and archival materials).
- 3.5 Eliminate backlog of uncatalogued material.
- 3.6 Catalog, classify, describe, and process new acquisitions in a timely manner.
We will renovate, rejuvenate, and enhance our spaces to meet the needs of our users.
- 4.1 Develop our Learning Commons.
- 4.2 Participate in developing working drawings of library renovations.
- 4.3 Create a Primary Source Studio.
- 4.4 Create a Conservation Studio.
- 4.5 Explore the need to develop space and infrastructure to support digital humanities in support of faculty and student research.
We will establish partnerships and secure resources to maintain and improve library initiatives.
- 5.1 Identify partners and alliances within and outside USMC to enhance our facilities and services.
- 5.2 Working with the development office, review and re-‐purpose currently restricted library funds.
- 5.3 Develop strategies to acquire funding.
- 5.4 Develop and promote the Kelly Library Exhibit programme.
- 5.5 Enhance communication with our constituents.
- 5.6 Support the Friends of the Kelly Library Group.
We will foster a positive work environment that helps library staff flourish.
- 6.1 Improve training and skills development to maintain staff excellence.
- 6.2 Develop and improve the staff working environment (equipment, space, layout, etc.) to ensure efficiency in the workplace.
- 6.3 Improve communications among units/divisions in the Library by identifying current issues/challenges and developing inter-departmental policies where necessary.
- 6.4 Develop robust tools for data collection across our service points.
- 6.5 Hire additional, full-time staff.